Happy newyear everyone!!
I started off the new year nice and easy today, managed to finish of the left aileron.
First I assemblied the main aileron control rods. I picked them up from work the other day, where they had been drying of after priming.
Then I began the final assembly of the left aileron. First thing was to rivet the nose ribs to the counterbalance weight tube. I used Cherry rivets here, which are special aviation blind rivets. I borrowed a nice offset pnéumatic puller for these from work, so I didn’t have to bend the tabs to gain access.
Then I put the spar in place and riveted it to the nose ribs.
After that I fastened the assembly to the holding blocks I made, and clecoed the aft skin to the leading edge/spar assembly.
..almost done riveting the upper spar flange!
A look inside. My tungsten bucking bar worked very well for this.
After riveting the upper flange, I removed the aileron from the holding blocks and put it on the table..
Now I could install the aft end-ribs.
First I riveted the nose rib upper flanges…
..then the aft rib upper flanges. I borrowed a ‘close-quarter’ hand squeezer from work to set the aft rivets.
The top side of the left aileron done!
After flipping the aileron over, I finished riveting the end ribs.
At last, I popriveted the lower flange…
Ailerons done!!! …well, still need to bolt on the attachment brackets.