I had a great day in the shop today, made good progress on the elevators.
First I riveted the balance weight horns. Those where easily set with the sqeezer.
Then I riveted the root ribs. I used my backriveting plate as buckingbar.
Then it was time for the control horns…
That was it, ready for skins.
The skins need to get bended, for that I need a bending brake. One of my great neighbours had some good pieces of wood I could use for that. Thanks Vagn… 🙂
…added a couple of hinges,
..and voila, I had myself a bending brake!!
Before clecoing the skin to the understructure, you have to rivet the counterbalance skin to the elevator skin. Two rivets on each side. These four rivets can’t be reached, once the understructure is in place.
Then I added some RTV sealant to the stiffener ends. This will prevent the skin cracking from vibration.
Then I clecoed the skin to the understructure.
The right elevator almost finished. I can’t reach the aft four rivets on each rib, I will borrow the hand squeezer from work tomorrow. Also need to roll the leading edge.