I finished the left wing leading edge today, it went a lot faster than the right one. A little practice always helps, and a switch in tooling also helped a bit…
I had already dimpled the ribs, so I clecoed them to the skin right away. Then I riveted most of the rivets with the leading edge in the cradle & the rest with it on a couple of cushions, just like the right leading edge.
After reading Brad Olivers comments on using mushroom head riveting set, I desided to try it myself. Until now I have used my swivel head set, but it tends to be a little alive on the skin, making it hard to use singlehanded. This has become worse after it has become a little worn. I have had a big 1½” mushroom head set lying around ever since I started building, but it didn’t fit the holding spring on my rivet gun. The spring notch was just too thick. So I put the set in my drill press, and grinded it down with my anglegrinder, then polished it with a scotch wheel.
This was well worth it! It is so much easier to control this set, compared to the swivel head set.